Re: mingw configure failure workaround

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: mingw configure failure workaround
Date: 2004-05-01 21:00:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>

>>And if not 3), is there some autoconf wizard out there who can help do
>>this properly? It would probably take me many hours to work out, as I
>>have never touched the beast.
>>

>Obviously, or you would know that configure is a generated file that
>there is no point in editing by hand.

er ... that's why I asked how to do it properly. I simply included the
diff to show what I had been able to make work, not because I wanted it
applied.

>The real issue in my mind is why is "ln" unreliable in mingw? I cannot
>see any point in a retry kluge when we do not know what's really going
>on.

I'm still trying to find out. But I don't see why this is different from
the kludge we already have for unlink, and that one is right inside
postgresql. In fact. it's more or less the same solution.

At the very least, until we can find a better solution we should have
something like the checking part of what I did. We've seen quite a
number of obscure failure reports that have all been traced back to this
failure, which is currently quite unreported by configure.

cheers

andrew