Re: From SQLite to Postgres

From: Brent Dombrowski <brent(dot)dombrowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: From SQLite to Postgres
Date: 2011-02-16 18:11:37
Lists: pdxpug

On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:03 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I've not done this before so I don't know where the gotcha's might be.
>
> I downloaded a rather huge well log file (that is, a record of all wells
> dug after being granted a water right) for another state. Naturally, they
> have it as an Access table (.mdb). I used the tool, mdb-sqlite to convert it
> to a sqlite3 database, then dumped it from sqlite as a .sql file.
>
> Do I need to massage it in any way before I 'restore' it to a new
> database? I will then map the locations in GRASS and build a 3D map of the
> bedrock depth.
>
> Tnx,
>
> Rich

I've gone from Access straight to postgres in the past. I set up an ODBC connection from Access to postgres and just dragged and dropped the tables across. The gotcha for me was name preservation from Access required quoting all the field and table names in postgres. My tables were simple, your mileage may vary.

Brent.