Re: Is there any method to keep table in memory at startup

From: Vinay Jain <vinayj(at)sarathi(dot)ncst(dot)ernet(dot)in>
To: Andrew Hammond <ahammond(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
Cc: vinayj(at)ncst(dot)ernet(dot)in, "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there any method to keep table in memory at startup
Date: 2004-05-01 05:24:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi
thanx and sorry that I asked such a simple question in postgres-hackers
list....
but the complexity which i feel on that basis ....please allow me to
explain my problem further.....
As i am working on sorting order , length and substring functions for
Hindi text(Indian Language)...
Here is the problem which i found in postgresql...
after setting collating sequence in proper way(i.e. C) the order was on
basis of unicode values...but in Hindi Language some of combined unicode
values makes a single character
similarly length is not appropriate for these reasons & hence substring
operations
so i designed a customized data type called IndChar....and operations on it
in order by statement the only function called is indchar_lt(defined for
< operator)......
Now please guide me where is starting(where i can open connection to
database) and ending of my program....I feel only in indchar_lt function
which will be called many times in order by statement causing
performance degradation..as i am not much experienced this assumption
may be wrong...
so my question remains as it is that is there any such thing which can
be called at startup of psql.........to make connection to database

regards
Vinay