Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 19:32:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Well, if Win32 doesn't complete by June 1, do we still do the feature
> freeze? I don't want to be adding features after the freeze, that is
> for sure. When we have done that in the past, it has caused problems
> because some stuff gets in to make the system unstable, but other stuff
> gets left out.

It seams as though the win32 port is driving the release schedule, so
instead of picking June 1 out of the air, how about getting an estimated
time for completion from them, or more specifically a date by which they
should have all the major features done?

I know it's a chicken and egg problem, do we set a date for developers
to shoot for, or do shoot for specific features and choose a date from
there. I think there can no hard and fast rule on this, it depends on
the feature and the desire to put it in place.

Matthew