error on starting server

From: Robert Morgan <robert_(at)ihug(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: postgres <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: error on starting server
Date: 2004-04-28 07:27:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi thanks for your previous replies, I decided to remove the RH embedded
postgresql and install from source
which I have done and as far as I can tell everything is ok but when I
tried to start it I got the following...

[bob(at)localhost bob]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "bob".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_NZ.UTF-8.

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... mkdir: cannot create
directory `/usr/local/pgsql/data': Permission denied

initdb: failed
[bob(at)localhost bob]$

any help appreciated.

version is postgresql-7.4.2