Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding case folding

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding case folding
Date: 2004-04-26 21:19:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:

>I also didn't follow the discussion of why a client-side implementation was
>technically impossible; this seems like the most obvious course to me, and to
>have *considerable* benefit. It's also consistent with our other statement
>variables, such as datestyle, which are all client-side, per-session
>settings.

But they are not client side, are they? The date is formatted by the
server. The client is simply receiving whatever datestyle itselected.
That is, assuming I understand the behaviour correctly.

I would catagorize it as a server side per-session configuration. If
that's what you mean, we thought it was too insane because it doesn't
explain how you are supposed to handle all the catalog and other stuff
where you are implictly assuming quoting is not necessary.

I'l reiterate the example. Do you really expect to have to write
select "upper"("field") from "table"
and should it be "upper" or "UPPER"?

>A server-side implementation would possibly reqire touching every single
>source code file in Postgres, something that would justify a lot of effort to
>avoid.

I think the concensus was that the runtime part was aprox. four lines
where the case folding currently takes place. Obviously, you would have
to get a var, and propogate that var to that place, but not actually
change program flow.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh