Re: [HACKERS] TPC H data

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Shalu Gupta <sgupta5(at)unity(dot)ncsu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] TPC H data
Date: 2004-04-26 17:00:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Shalu Gupta wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We are trying to import the TPC-H data into postgresql using the COPY
>command and for the larger files we get an error due to insufficient
>memory space.
>
>We are using a linux system with Postgresql-7.3.4
>
>Is it that Postgresql cannot handle such large files or is there some
>other possible reason.
>
>Thanks
>Shalu Gupta
>NC State University.

Shalu,

I loaded the largest TPC-H table (lineitem, roughly 6 million rows) the
other day into a completely untuned 7.5devel PostgreSQL instance running
on RH 9, and it didn't raise a sweat. I delayed creating the indexes
until after the load. Data load took roughly 10 minutes, index creation
took a further 35 minutes (there are 13 of them).

HTH. (I'm just down the road from NCSU, would be happy to help out)

cheers

andrew