Re: FW: getting a crash during initdb

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: getting a crash during initdb
Date: 2004-04-26 14:44:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure wrote:

>[sorry for the repost...lists down? Problem may or may not be on win32
>version only]
>The catalog number was updated, so it was time to run initdb.
>
>Sometime over the weekend (or since the last initdb I ran, about a
>week), the source was updated which caused an AV & CRASH during
>initdb...specifically during pg_depend step. Also, after initdb fails,
>the files are removed but the folders are not, causing subsequent
>attempts to initdb not to work...is this the expected hehavior?

No. The code currently does this on Windows:

snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s /s /q \"%s\"",
rmtopdir ? "rmdir" : "del", path);
system(buf);

Originally I had a builtin routine (see
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/src/bin/initdb/initdb.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
) but Bruce felt shelling out to rm/rmdir/del was easier. I guess this
needs tweaking a bit.

I have no idea what caused the pg_depend stuff to crash.

cheers

andrew