Re: Server Side C programming Environment Set up

From: Kemin Zhou <kemin(dot)zhou(at)ferring(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-sql (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server Side C programming Environment Set up
Date: 2004-04-22 16:09:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Rod Taylor wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 01:18, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>

>>Kemin Zhou wrote:
>>

>>>IN chapter 33 Extending SQL
>>>33.7.5 Writing Code
>>>when run pg_config --includedir-server
>>>I got /usr/local/pgsql/include/server but my machine does NOT have this
>>>directory
>>>

>>make install-all-headers
>>
>>It's explained in the installation instructions.
>>

>That doesn't happen on most platforms in the standard package.
>
>Are you proposing that packagers create a postgresql-headers package and
>depend on that?
>
>If this is the suggested way of solving the headers portion of the
>problem then lets tell the packagers.

As fas I am concerned, being a generalized programer, to program the
serverside functionality
I would need a header file that should include nearly all the server
side functionality and a lib,
presumably dynamically linkable lib file libpgserver.so. We already
have the interface library libpq.so
The server side header does not have to include everything. It only
needs to be the parts that the
user programer needs to manipulate (SPI?).

I see a great advantage to be able to plug in some information_managing
algorithms into Postgres.

Kemin

Proprietary or confidential information belonging to Ferring Holding SA or to one of its affiliated companies may be contained in the message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for the delivery of the message to such person), please do not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender by reply e-mail. Please advise the sender immediately if you or your employer do not consent to e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message represent the opinion of the sender and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views and opinions of Ferring.