Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Date: 2004-04-22 03:57:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I believe that one problem with the contrib is that in order to build
most of the contrib modules you need
the PostgreSQL source. That is silly. If I have PostgreSQL installed
with all headers, I should be able to
download a PostgreSQL project app (pgAdmin whatever) and just build it
against PostgreSQL.

Very few OSS projects are like that. If I want PHP I don't need Apache
source, I just need the Apache
development stuff (headers etc...).

If we were to break out contrib so it was on its own, let people figure
out their own build methods. You
don't "have" to use autoconf (although it is a good idea). You don't
NEED PostgreSQL source etc...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake