Re: Join issue on a maximum value

From: Edmund Bacon <ebacon(at)onesystem(dot)com>
To: Heflin <hhogan(at)tampabay(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Join issue on a maximum value
Date: 2004-04-21 19:21:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

Two choices that work:

Either add another JOIN in which retrieves the MAX(image_id) for each
auction:

SELECT auction.auction_id, image.image_id, image.image_descr
FROM auction
JOIN image USING(auction_id)
JOIN ( SELECT auction_id, MAX(image_id) AS image_id
FROM image
GROUP BY auction_id) max_aid USING (image_id)
WHERE owner = 'Mabel'
ORDER by auction.auction_id;

OR use a sub-select:

SELECT auction.auction_id, image_id, image.image_descr
FROM auction
JOIN image USING (auction_id)
WHERE image_id = ( SELECT max(image_id)
FROM image
WHERE auction_id = auction.auction_id)
AND image_owner = 'Mabel';

Test both with your data - My experience is that the sub-select runs
slower than throwing in the extra join.

--
Edmund Bacon <ebacon(at)onesystem(dot)com>