Re: Out of memory exception

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Tao Yang <tyang(at)cloverworxs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Out of memory exception
Date: 2004-04-20 23:48:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Tao Yang wrote:

> Is there any possibility the postgresql jdbc driver does not handle
> large object very well, for example, use stream for loading that big file?
>
> Do you have any clue why we have those problems?

In brief: yes, the driver doesn't handle large binary columns very well.
You will need 6-7 times the binary data's size in temporary heap space.

For details, take a look at:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2004-04/msg00186.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2004-04/msg00128.php

-O