Unable to create an array of a domain

From: Mark Gibson <gibsonm(at)cromwell(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unable to create an array of a domain
Date: 2004-04-20 10:31:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
I've recently been trying to make use of domains but have
encountered some violations of the rule of least surprise.
(PostgreSQL 7.4.2)

I couldn't create an array of a domain, eg:

CREATE DOMAIN mydomain AS integer;

CREATE TABLE mytable (
stuff mydomain[]
);

results in:

ERROR: type "mydomain[]" does not exist

I noticed that the type '_mydomain' doesn't exist in pg_type, so I tried:

CREATE DOMAIN _mydomain AS mydomain[];

ERROR: type "mydomain[]" does not exist

(hmmm, chicken/egg), so let's try:

CREATE DOMAIN _mydomain AS integer[];

This worked, and now the create table statement above also works, and I can
insert into the table using the array input syntax too.

I have a few concerns though:

Is there any reason why a domain cannot use another domain as it's base
type?
eg:
CREATE DOMAIN anotherdomain AS mydomain;

ERROR: "mydomain" is not a valid base type for a domain

And why isn't an array type created for a domain?
(Is there a way to create an array for a domain without resorting to an
array of the domain's base type?)

Cheers

--
Mark Gibson <gibsonm |AT| cromwell |DOT| co |DOT| uk>
Web Developer & Database Admin