Re: pgsql: In HS, Startup process sets SIGALRM when waiting for buffer pin.

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: In HS, Startup process sets SIGALRM when waiting for buffer pin.
Date: 2010-01-23 17:35:28
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Simon Riggs <sriggs(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> max_standby_delay = -1 option removed to prevent deadlock.

This seems unacceptable to me. It means it's impossible to configure a
reporting slave so it doesn't spuriously signal errors if your reports
run too long.

Recall that I am still of the opinion that the only reasonable default
value for this parameter is actually -1. I don't think we should
signal errors for correctly working systems unless the user requests
them in some way.

Was there any discussion about this change? I don't recall seeing it
proposed on hackers.

--
greg