Re: Serializable Isolation without blocking

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com, gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at
Subject: Re: Serializable Isolation without blocking
Date: 2009-12-31 23:04:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

aaah... I think I see where we've gone off track in previous
discussions...you think postgres keeps row level locks in a shared
memory data structure. It doesn't it stores all row level locks *in*
the tuple itself. It only stores the lock in memory briefly while
actually acquiring the lock. Once it acquires it the only record of
the lock is the xid in the tuple itself.

This means there are no memory limits on the number of records locked
by a transaction.

storing the lock data in the tuples won't work for you at all because
you need to lock rows that don't exist yet at all.that's why "where to
store the lock" is a critical blocking issue to figure out to know
whether the plan is feasible at all.

On Thursday, December 31, 2009, Kevin Grittner

--
greg