Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby
Date: 2009-11-15 19:38:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> You agree there should be two phases?

I don't understand this repeated suggestion of "phases". Nobody's
every suggested that we would refuse to add new features to HS after
the initial commit or the 8.5 release. Of course there should be later
features if you or anyone else is interested in working on them.

Or are asking whether we should commit it before it's a usable subset
of the functionality? Personally I am in favour of earlier more
fine-grained commits but I think the horse has left the stable on that
one. We have a usable subset of the functionality in this patch
already, don't we?

--
greg