Re: Syntax for partitioning

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Syntax for partitioning
Date: 2009-10-30 04:20:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> CREATE TABLE does not require PARTITION to be a reserved keyword,
>> but there are conflicts in ALTER TABLE ADD/DROP PARTITION:
>>
>>  * ALTER TABLE ... DROP [COLUMN]  name [CASCADE | RESTRICT]
>>  * ALTER TABLE ... DROP PARTITION name [CASCADE | RESTRICT]
>>
>> There are some solutions:

Do we need a DROP PARTITION command at all? What would it even do?
Drop the partition from the parent table and throw it away in one
step? I think in actual practice people usually remove the partition
from the parent table first, then do things like archive it before
actually throwing it away.

--
greg