Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-28 17:56:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:
> The postgresql.conf file being modified is generated by initdb, and it's
> already being customized per install by the initdb-time rules like detection
> for maximum supported shared_buffers. It isn't one of the files installed by
> the package manager where the logic you're describing kicks in.  The
> conflict case would show up, to use a RHEL example, if I edited a
> /etc/sysconfig/postgresql file and then a changed version of that file
> appeared upstream.  Stuff in PGDATA is all yours and not tracked as a config
> file.

Well putting configuration files in PGDATA is itself a packaging
violation. I'm talking about /etc/postgresql.conf. Yes it's possible
for packages to simply opt out of the configuration file management
which at least means they're not actively causing problems -- but it's
a cheat, it means it's giving up on providing the user with useful
upgrades of configuration files.

--
greg