Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-26 22:35:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> ... but here we seem to be coming out at the same place anyway.  Getting
> people to put their existing apps onto a beta is very productive.
> We have to encourage people to do more of that while it's still beta,
> instead of waiting till .0 or .1 or later.

+1 for the goal being to get users to test their applications on beta.

I also wonder if we've adopted the wrong strategy with betas by
stopping development during them. It seems to be the worst of both
worlds in that both developers and users are unhappy.

Perhaps we should fork 8.6 right away after 8.5.beta is released (I'm
assuming *after* any open issues are closed) and start a commitfest
with any pending patches. While we do that call for users to test
8.5.beta with their applications and wait a fixed amount of time for
any bugs to turn up. That lets us have a long beta period for users to
test on without stopping development.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf