Re: BUG #5012: mailing list VERP addresses not sender-verifiable

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Gergely Czuczy <gergely(dot)czuczy(at)harmless(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-08-26 16:43:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Gergely
Czuczy<gergely(dot)czuczy(at)harmless(dot)hu> wrote:

> Bug reference:      5012
> Logged by:          Gergely Czuczy
> Email address:      gergely(dot)czuczy(at)harmless(dot)hu
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4
> Operating system:   FreeBSD
> Details:

This is not a Postgres bug. I would say to please use an appropriate
channel but, uh, our mailing list maintainers don't really have a good
channel for reporting such problems :(

In any case you should disable SAV. It is well documented to cause
such problems and is likely to get you banned if you use it on a site
which receives any significant amount of email from one place (such as
Postgres lists!).

c.f.

http://taint.org/2007/03/16/134743a.html
http://www.circleid.com/posts/sender_address_verification/

Fwiw the addresses used in the VERP are not blocked, they're
greylisted. I suspect that is a mistake and they shouldn't be but
there's nothing inherently wrong with it the way it is and your SAV
implementation is just broken. Arguably the very concept of SAV is
broken though.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf