Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Cause pg_proc.probin to be declared as text, not bytea.

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Cause pg_proc.probin to be declared as text, not bytea.
Date: 2009-08-04 14:42:34
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I'll point out though that having probin declared bytea would surely
> be antithetical to any attempt to treat shlib filenames in an
> encoding-aware fashion.  Declaring it that way implies that it is
> *not* storing a character string that has any particular encoding.

Well that's kind of the point. Unix filesystems traditionally prohibit
'/' and '\0' but otherwise allowing any series of bytes without
requiring any particular encoding. If we used bytea to store
filesystem paths then you could specify any arbitrary series of bytes
without worrying that the server will re-encode it differently.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf