Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Date: 2009-07-30 22:40:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I did some tracing and verified that pg_dump passes data to deflate()
> one table row at a time.  I'm not sure about the performance
> implications of that, but it does seem like it might be something to
> look into.

I suspect if this was a problem the zlib people would have added
internal buffering ages ago. I find it hard to believe we're not the
first application to use it this way.

I suppose it wouldn't be the first time a problem like this went
unfixed though. Is the zlib software actively maintained or was your
earlier comment implying it's currently an orphaned codebase?

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf