Re: Diffrent column ordering after dump/restore tables with INHERITS

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oleg Serov <serovov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Diffrent column ordering after dump/restore tables with INHERITS
Date: 2009-07-05 16:10:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> when i done dump->restore i
>> have surprise,
>> Column ordering was changed.
>
> This is not a bug, it's the intended behavior.

I thought that was a bug, just one that was too hard to fix for the
problems it caused. It might be more fixable if we get around to the
work that was discussed earlier where we separate attnum into three
different values.

Oleg: note that having the columns in the same position allows some
optimizations in the executor so it's probably a good thing if it
hasn't broken your application.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf