Re: unable to create new table

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Chandra Sekar R <chandrasekar(at)visiontss(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unable to create new table
Date: 2009-06-30 03:57:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Scott Marlowe<scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> ERROR: invalid page header in block 95 of relation "pg_attribute".
>
> Are you running aanti-virus software on this machine?  That's a common
> cause of these issus on windows.

Is it? I thought it mainly caused random errors when connecting or
opening files. Not data corruption on disk.

I would be more inclined to blame bad memory or a bad hard drive,
though that also seems a bit unlikely to bite so quickly.

Are the column names sensitive data? Could you send your pg_attributes
data file? The data file in question will be named
<datadir>/base/11510/1249. (Actually the 11510 might vary, but if
you've only created one database it'll be the one that isn't "1".) If
you can extract bytes 778240-786432 then great, otherwise the whole
file probably isn't very big.

Hm, actually if you've gotten as far as 800k already in pg_attributed
then you've done a whole lot more than create four tables or something
else has added a ton of extra data to this file. Incidentally my
regression database has a pg_attribute that's just about that size.
Have you run "make check"?

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf