Re: Under what circumstances does PreparedStatement use stored

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Under what circumstances does PreparedStatement use stored
Date: 2004-04-15 13:44:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:
> Basically I want to run the whole regression tests with everything using
> server prepared statements cleanly. Sure the patch doesn't affect the
> long standing behavior, but it makes in much more accessible and I'd
> expect a number of bug reports. There were a number of other failures as
> well, but I don't recall what they are at the moment.

I just tried changing the driver to only use server-side-prepare for
SELECT statements, and changed the default value of useServerPrepare to
true so all statements are candidates for preparation. With those
changes, we pass all of the regression tests except for the
ResultSetMetaData tests. I haven't dug into the cause of the failures,
but it looks like the metadata has no column names for some reason.

Assuming the RSMD failures can be fixed, perhaps a change along those
lines when talking to a <= 7.4 server would let us turn on more
aggressive use of PREPARE?

-O