Re: COPY for CSV documentation

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY for CSV documentation
Date: 2004-04-11 02:26:43
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>>Prior to 7.2, a multi-character delimiter could be specified, but only
>>>the first character was used. 7.2 release notes state:
>>>
>>> * COPY DELIMITERS string must be exactly one character (Tom)
>>>
>>>I am a little worried about multibyte too, as you mentioned.
>>>

>>I am not sure that CSVs even make sense in a multibyte world. If not, it
>>would make sense to disable it in such a case.
>>
>>(Is that your only worry?)
>>

>Yes, my worry is that someone will use a multibyte character that the
>system sees as several bytes and enters CSV mode.

How about if we specify it explicitly, like BINARY, instead of it being
implied by the length of DELIMITER?

COPY a FROM stdin CSV DELIMITER ',"';

That would make the patch somewhat more extensive, but maybe not hugely
more invasive (I tried to keep it as uninvasive as possible). I could do
that, I think.

cheers

andrew