Re: Boolean/Bit BUG with 7.4 JDBC Driver (build 213)

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: "j(dot)random(dot)programmer" <javadesigner(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Boolean/Bit BUG with 7.4 JDBC Driver (build 213)
Date: 2004-04-10 00:29:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

j.random.programmer wrote:
> Hi:
>
> The latest JDBC driver (build 213) returns -7 for
> the java.sql.Types value (obtained via DBMetaData,
> getColumns() and then "DATA_TYPE"). I am not sure
> if this has been a bug with all postgres JDBC drivers
> or if this is some kinda regression bug.
>
> -7 corresponds to a java.sql.Types.BIT and should
> NOT be returned for a BOOLEAN type.
>
> For a BOOLEAN type, a value of 16 should be returned
> which corresponds to a java.sql.Types.BOOLEAN.

1) BOOLEAN exists only in JDBC3. What should the driver return for a
boolean column if JDBC1 or JDBC2 is in use?

2) JDBC3 explicitly says that either BOOLEAN or BIT may be returned for
a boolean data type. See the tables in appendix B of the specificaton
(pg. 175-180).

3) JDBC3 also says that "BOOLEAN is logically equivalent to BIT" (pg. 22).

> Please fix this ASAP, I am writing an advanced
> db abstraction layer and although both boolean/bit
> are suggested by sun to map to a java boolean type,
> I still need to distinguish between bits and
> booleans in case the user wants a different mapping.

Given that BIT and BOOLEAN are equivalent at the JDBC level I don't
quite see how this works.

What are the distinct underlying database types that would map to BIT
and BOOLEAN? AFAIK, postgresql only has one such datatype (bool/boolean).

If you think this is a bug in the driver and needs fixing rapidly, the
fastest way to get it fixed is to provide a patch.

-O