PostgreSQL and FreeBSD SoftUpdates

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL and FreeBSD SoftUpdates
Date: 2004-03-30 01:54:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi guys,

Does anyone else have this problem?

We have softupdates turned on on our data dir. (Soon to be turned off
due to these issues).

The partition is 12GB. 'df' says that we're using 12 and a bit GB but
'du' says we're using 2GB (which we really are).

It seems that perhaps softupdates is caching some stuff, or preventing
something from being written properly, etc.

The funny thing is that this was never a problem until we upgraded to
7.4. Has something changed in the way file writes or syncs are done?

Chris