Re: postgres_fdw: batch inserts vs. before row triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw: batch inserts vs. before row triggers
Date: 2022-11-25 16:57:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I have committed the patch.

Apologies for not having paid attention to this thread, but ...

I don't think the committed patch is acceptable at all, at least
not in the back branches, because it creates a severe ABI break.
Specifically, by adding a field to ResultRelInfo you have changed
the array stride of es_result_relations, and that will break any
previously-compiled extension code that accesses that array.

I'm not terribly pleased with it having added a field to EState
either. That seems much more global than what we need here.
Couldn't we add the field to ModifyTableState, instead?