Re: Documentation of server configuration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation of server configuration
Date: 2004-11-14 00:17:35
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 04:17:26PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
>> I thought runtime-config was supposed to be ordered in the same order as the
>> default postgresql.conf ?

> To what end? A lot of people may want to look up parameters without
> necessarily looking at postgresql.conf.

There was a great deal of effort put into categorizing the runtime
parameters just a release or two back. Both runtime.sgml and the
postgresql.conf sample file follow that categorization.

I'm not sure if Peter is saying he doesn't like the current
categorization, or that he doesn't believe in the idea at all.
But I don't think "one big list" will fly.