Re: [pgadmin-support] Automatic language selection

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Automatic language selection
Date: 2004-03-26 19:44:32
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>To me this is not so much a question of functionality, it's a question
>of user interface design: don't bother the user with unnecessary
>questions. The application works perfectly well with the default
>(system locale) language, and the vast majority of users probably never
>want to change it. It's okay to have a menu entry to change the
>language (although personally I find it unnecessary), but you don't
>need to ask on startup. Imagine if every GUI application you started
>asked for the language the first time. You would never get any work
>done. It's also not helped by the fact that normally Afrikaans is the
>default choice and you need to scroll around to find other popular
>languages. I've seen people look at the pgAdmin language selection
>dialog and most were puzzled or annoyed ("Where is my language?", "Why
>does it have to ask this?", "Why can't pgAdmin work like the other
>apps?").

User's annoyance is a strong argument. How do the others think about that?

The initial message box is meant as something like installation
postprocessing.
For sure, the option to change language is very necessary. Many people
have different language installations from their native language. Think
of German sysadmins who like to install English OS versions (e.g. me,
esp. Windows, chance for support is much better), but might like to use
a localized tool.

Regards,
Andreas

Regards,