Re: installdir patch for win32

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: installdir patch for win32
Date: 2004-03-25 18:57:25
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com> writes:
>

>>Supplement to previous win32 patch for dfmgr. Win32 replacement for
>>configure time constants like PKGLIBDIR.
>>

>This is exactly the sort of cruft I was hoping we would not get saddled
>with by a Windows port.
>
>If the problem is that we need PKGLIBDIR not to be frozen at compile
>time, then let's fix the problem for everybody, not add a pile of
>undocumented #ifdef WIN32 hacks. (And it is a problem for everybody;
>see for example
>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-03/msg00894.php
>which boils down to the complaint that pkglibdir shouldn't be frozen
>by configure. The RPM packagers would also be happier if they could
>make relocatable RPMs of Postgres.)
>
>Every "#ifdef WIN32" I see reduces my opinion of the quality of work
>being done for this port.

Tom,

I think in defense of Claudio and company, it should be noted that there
has been a desire not to disturb existing functionality more than
necessary, and that has led fairly obviously to use of #ifdef with some
liberality.

The particular issue is not a bolt from the blue - it was at least
discussed a couple of months ago on the -hackers-win32 list, IIRC.

I agree we should fix the problem more generically, since as you point
out it isn't WIN32 specific.

cheers

andrew