Re: [PERFORM] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Subbiah, Stalin" <SSubbiah(at)netopia(dot)com>, "'pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux
Date: 2004-03-24 08:53:31
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Mark,
>

>>It might be worth considering Apple if you want a 64-bit chip that has a
>>clock speed comparable to Intel's - the Xserv is similarly priced to Sun
>>V210 (both dual cpu 1U's).
>>

>Personally I'd stay *far* away from the XServs until Apple learns to build
>some real server harware. The current XServs have internal parts more
>appropriate to a Dell desktop (promise controller, low-speed commodity IDE
>drives), than a server.
>
>If Apple has prices these IU desktop machines similar to Sun, then I sense
>doom ahead for the Apple Server Division.

(thinks...) Point taken - the Xserv is pretty "entry level"...

However, having recently benchmarked a 280R vs a PIII Dell using a
Promise ide raid controller - and finding the Dell comparable (with
write cache *disabled*), I suspect that the Xserv has a pretty good
chance of outperforming a V210 (certainly would be interesting to try
out....)

What I think has happened is that over the last few years then "cheap /
slow" ide stuff has gotten pretty fast - even when you make "write mean
write"....

cheers

Mark