Re: patterns for database administration

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: Chris Boget <chris(at)wild(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patterns for database administration
Date: 2004-03-23 19:16:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Boget wrote:
>> Has anyone ever heard of using a separate administration database
>>which is used to modify business data, and then periodically that data
>>would be pushed out to the other database running the customer web
>>application? Does this idea make any sense at all?

I have a system I wrote that does this. Occasionally, the source from which
we get the data pushes an update, and (frankly) I didn't trust the source to
be consistent, so I process the update as if it were new, raw data, put all
the results into temp tables, then use a stored procedure to copy all the
date to the live tables within a single transaction.

In my case, the database is relatively small (less than 100,000 rows total,
in 6 tables, I think) so this happens fairly quickly.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies