Re: Further thoughts about warning for costly FK checks

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Further thoughts about warning for costly FK checks
Date: 2004-03-19 01:29:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>>though I'd be worried about the portability price paid to have one. Or
>>>are you concerned about whether a GUI could invoke it? I don't see why
>>>not --- the GUIs don't reimplement pg_dump, do they?
>
> Actually Tom, I think they do (where they have an export facility). How would
> you run pg_dump on a remote machine? (well, without building an RPC
> mechanism)

In phpPgAdmin 2.x, such a re-implementation did exist. When we did the
3.2 rewrite, I wrote another one just for dumping tables. Then I had
the much better idea of just allowing the person to specify the location
of pg_dump on their server and now we stream raw pg_dump output back to
the client browser.

Chris