Re: MS-Access connection with oracle via odbc loses connection

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Philippe Lang <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Liesbeth Van den Abeele <liesbeth(dot)vandenabeele(at)atosorigin(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MS-Access connection with oracle via odbc loses connection
Date: 2004-03-10 15:39:16
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Philippe Lang schrieb:

>Hello,
>
>Search for a key in the registry called "ConnectionTimeout":
>[...]
>
>By default, this value is set to 258. Set it to 0, and you won't be disconnected anymore. The reason why the other application does not disconnect is a bit strange, but we could imagine some kind of keep-alive built into the application.

[...]

It is an issue with Access that has long tradition.
Access stalled if this happend regardless of the server dbms.
A user had to kill Access with the taskmanager.

Someone sugested to have an invisible form that has a timer to ping the
db-server every 5 minutes or so.

AFAIK it is a Jet bug and got fixed in the last update of the Jet-db engine.
Look für Jet update revision 8.