pg_restore and users

From: Kemin Zhou <kemin(dot)zhou(at)ferring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_restore and users
Date: 2004-03-04 22:48:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dear all,
I normally don't do a lot of pg_dump and pg_restore. And it is not easy
to experiment with this.
Just trying to clarify something.

While I was using a user name that have rights to createdb, createuser
to restore the database

pg_restore -d mydb mydb.tar

the program exited with error message: user abs does not exist.

then I created that user with the command createuser abc.
the restore can be finished (actually I have a few users, I have to do
all of them).

1. Do I have such problem if I use the super user POSTGRES?
2. Is the database intended to store a lot of users or only a few? If
you have a lot users and you forgot about them, it could be very
difficult to restore the database.

Anyone can tell me about the normal way of dealing with this. Or I am
doing something wrong.

Kemin

Proprietary or confidential information belonging to Ferring Holding SA or to one of its affiliated companies may be contained in the message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for the delivery of the message to such person), please do not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender by reply e-mail. Please advise the sender immediately if you or your employer do not consent to e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message represent the opinion of the sender and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views and opinions of Ferring.