Re: Running Multiple Postmasters

From: John Allgood <john(at)turbocorp(dot)com>
To: Jean-Marc Pigeon <jmp(at)safe(dot)ca>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Running Multiple Postmasters
Date: 2004-02-27 16:11:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jean-Marc Pigeon wrote:

>Bonjour John Allgood,
>

>>Hello
>>
>> I am building a server to run 9 databases. Can I run a seperate
>>postmaster for each of the 9 databases. I would be setting the port
>>number to a different value for each db of course. The reason I wish to
>>do this is so that I can install about three databases on a seperate
>>disk and put the other on seperate disk as well. I want to be able to
>>build scripts to shutdown and start each database individually. Example
>>below. I would also put the WAL on seperate disk as well which I will do
>>with links. I this something I can do.
>>

> No problem to do this, we are doing the same (each designer
> getting its own data-base) for test purpose.
>
> command like:
> /usr/bin/postmaster -D //regulus/reg2/dbm -p 1622 -B512 -o -S2048
> where -D and -p parameter are different for each data-base.
> (we are starting postmater from inside the application itself
> such we are sure application is working on the proper base and port)
> Be sure to create a full data-base structure in the proper area.

Hello Again

What I have done is modified the basic startup script on redhat and
change the PGDATA and PGPORT to the corresponding port number and db
path. For my other startup parameters I have modified the
postgresql.conf in each database structure file this way I can start and
stop the databases easily. Just curious are you running the databases
from servers or workstations.

Thanks