Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Paul Smith <iconpart(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres
Date: 2004-02-12 18:38:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Paul,

There will be a complete native Windows port of PostgreSQL - this will
include the frontend stuff as well.
There are nice GUI frontends for PostgreSQL and other databases. If you
like you can use Squirrel, for instance. It supports "all" databases.
Also, pgadmin3 is nice.

Best regards,

Hans

Paul Smith wrote:
> I am evaluating Postgres for an existing Java application. I already
> have the app running with Oracle ($$$) and Sybase (oooold!) and I am
> trying to convince my management that it is worth going fully open
> source. (We already use Java, JBoss, Eclipse etc.) But the problem I am
> having, and it seems I am not alone, is the absence of Client support in
> postgres. I can fully understand why the db server is Linux/Unix as this
> covers the majority of servers used for enterprise applications, but I
> can not understand the abscence of platform support for the client
> software. Where is the Mac psql, or the Win XP version of pg_dumpall?
> Clients do not use Linux boxes, they use Wintel or Mac boxes. You do not
> have to like it, but ignoring them doesn't make them go away.
>
> I do not need the fancy GUI interfaces like PGExplorer, they are nice,
> and handy to port my scripts and test my stored procedures, but I can't
> use them to automate the creation of my database.
>
> Sybase had iSQL for scripts and bcp for data loading. Oracle had sqlplus
> and sqlldr. These are the basic client side tools required to automate
> the setup and maintence of a non-trival database, and they are available
> on almost any platform you care to name.
>
> And before anybody suggests I use Cygwin, I have used Cygwin, I do not
> like it (mild understatement) and nor am I prepared to learn Tcl just to
> run a script that already works. Run a script to load a telnet session
> to run a script to run my script? Be serious.
>
> Please, guys. Open source is the way to go. We need to convince
> accountants that it is the sensible, safe and cheap way to develop
> software. But that means we have to do our jobs! When we write
> client-server systems, write the clients as well as the servers.
>
> Can it really be that difficult to write a native mode psql? Have you
> considered doing it in Java?

Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria
Tel: +43/2952/30706 or +43/664/233 90 75
www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at