Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: John DeSoi <jd(at)icx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
Date: 2004-02-12 18:18:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

John DeSoi wrote:

> Scott,
>
> On Feb 10, 2004, at 2:06 PM, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
>> Now, if you don't mind using the ODBC connector, you're scott free.
>> but
>> you WILL be bound by the GPL, and the GPL (not MySQL's interpretation,
>> just the GPL in general) being applied to connect libs seriously limits
>> your ability to distribute code, since you'd have to GPL your own code
>> if
>> you distributed it outside your own private organization.
>
> So are you saying that if you connect to any GPL database (e.g. gnumed
> is a GPL database created with Postgresql), you must GPL your code?
> Even when using something like ODBC as the connection method?

No,

if you "link" to any library that is GPL you have to ship your stuff
under GPL as well. You don't have to ship your application at all, you
can keep it just for yourself and everything is fine. But as soon as you
want to give your stuff to anyone else, and for commercial application
vendors this is rather likely, you have to GPL your code when you need
GPL libraries, and that now is rather unlikely for commercial vendors.

This is the very reason why many GPL server or development products ship
their client connect or runtime libraries under LGPL. You can link
against a LGPL lib that connects to a GPL server and sell your stuff
closed source. Those GPL projects that do this don't care what you use
their product for, they only care what you do in their code. If you do
enhancements to their server or tool code to make your stuff work
(better), the GPL makes sure they get those enhancements. If you just
use it out of the box, do it, be happy and nice to meet you.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #