Re: dollar quoting

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dollar quoting
Date: 2004-02-07 19:07:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>

>> I kinda thought you had volunteered to work on the psql part...
>>

> I don't recall being that specific, but you could be right. In any
> case, I didn't want to trip over anyone else, which is why I asked.
>
> I will try to coordinate with Jon.

After staring at the code for a long time, I think I see how to do this.
It's complicated a bit by the fact that $ is a valid identifier
character. So my current thinking is to say that if we see $ not in a
quote and not preceded by a valid identifier char then it is the start
of a $foo$ sequence. Or have I missed something? Can we validly see $ in
any other context?

BTW, Tom's proof of concept patch worked just fine for me. I changed the
allowed pattern to what I think was agreed:

dolqdelim \$([A-Za-z\200-\377][A-Za-z\200-\377_0-9]*)?\$

and changed some names and comments to remove misleading references to
"here docs".

cheers

andrew