PL/pgSQL and new table creation

From: Matthew Syvinski <matthew(at)techcelsior(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PL/pgSQL and new table creation
Date: 2004-02-05 01:13:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am looking to automate and simplify the creation of new, empty tables
from a template.

I'm running PostgreSQL 7.3.4 under Fedora Core 1.

My code:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION sp_newtable(TEXT) RETURNS VOID AS '

DECLARE

newtable ALIAS FOR $1;

BEGIN

SELECT * INTO newtable FROM d_master WHERE False;
RETURN;

END;

'
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

But when I run it, I get the following error.

WARNING: plpgsql: ERROR during compile of sp_newtable near line 8
ERROR: $1 is declared CONSTANT

Any tips? I've hammered on this thing for awhile now...

Thanks