Re: Recursive queries?

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recursive queries?
Date: 2004-02-04 10:28:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>> There is a website somewhere where a guy posts his patch he is
>> maintaining that does it. I'll try to find it...
>

> Found it. Check it out:
>
> http://gppl.terminal.ru/index.eng.html
>
> Patch is current for 7.4, Oracle syntax.
>
> Chris

I had a look at the patch.
It is still in development but it seems to work nicely - at least I have
been able to get the same results with Oracle.

I will try it with a lot of data this afternoon so that we can compare
Oracle vs. Pg performance. I expect horrible results ;).

Does this patch have a serious chance to make it into Pg some day?
I think Oracle's syntax is not perfect but is easy to handle and many
people are used to it. In people's mind recursive queries = CONNECT BY
and many people (like me) miss it sadly.

If this patch has a serious chance I'd like to do some investigation and
some real-world data testing.

Regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria