Re: pg_generate_sequence and info_schema patch (Was: SELECT

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, Lada 'Ray' Lostak <ray(at)unreal64(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_generate_sequence and info_schema patch (Was: SELECT
Date: 2004-02-02 06:02:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> folklore has it that Mariner II was lost to exactly such a bug).

Ouch -- got the point.

> If you want to allow the 3-parameter form to specify a negative step
> size, that's fine. But don't use a heuristic to guess the intended
> step direction.

The attached patch implements the semantics you're looking for (I
think). Also attached is my test case output.

The one corner case not discussed is a step size of zero. Currently it
returns zero rows, but I considered having it generate an ERROR.

OK to commit?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size