Re: array_lower /array_prepend doubt

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: array_lower /array_prepend doubt
Date: 2004-01-21 18:03:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom Lane wrote:
> Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com> writes:
>>can anyone explain why
>> SELECT array_lower(array_prepend(0, ARRAY[1,2,3]), 1);
>>returns 0 not 1
>
> Because array_prepend keeps the subscripts of the existing array
> elements the same. This was discussed during development of the
> code, but I don't see anything in the documentation that mentions it.

It could perhaps be added to the "Functions and Operators" page for
arrays, but it is mentioned here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/arrays.html#AEN5183

"When a single element is pushed on to the beginning of a
one-dimensional array, the result is an array with a lower bound
subscript equal to the right-hand operand's lower bound subscript, minus
one. When a single element is pushed on to the end of a one-dimensional
array, the result is an array retaining the lower bound of the left-hand
operand. For example:

SELECT array_dims(1 || ARRAY[2,3]);
array_dims
[0:2]