Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle disk space usage

From: Thierry Missimilly <THIERRY(dot)MISSIMILLY(at)BULL(dot)NET>
To: Seum-Lim Gan <slgan(at)lucent(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle disk space usage
Date: 2004-01-21 09:59:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

From the same Database based on pgbench (TPC-B), I have noted that the
Database size is twice lager in Postgres 7.3.3 & 7.4 than with Oracle 9i.
And don't know why.
Firstly, I thought that as one column name filler type char(88), char(84) or
char(22) according the tables which were not initialized, was optimised by
Oracle to mark them as NULL and save disk space.
But, I have modified the data generation to generate random string and force
Oracle to put something in the columns. As results, the both Database was
twice bigger but Postgres Database size ~= 2 x Oracle Database size.

And I have not found any explanation.

Regards,

Thierry Missimilly