Re: gentoo, anyone?

From: steve fox <steve(at)wiscota(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gentoo, anyone?
Date: 2004-01-17 16:05:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

Sure, I'd be happy to help. But probably not this weekend, I have a
birthday party for my nephew and a house full of people to contend with.

I'll try building the package manually, maybe tonight. I've been
spoiled with portage (emerge), I guess.

USE settings are taken from a file called make.conf, which is used for
all builds to determine things like cpu type, video cards and so forth.
This gives you a very optimized system.

Have a look:

http://www.gentoo.org

Portage manual
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml

gentoo USE guide
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/use-howto.xml

Thanks,

Steve

--
Tired of e-mail viruses and web browser pop-up windows?
Get Mozilla at http://www.mozilla.org

Sick of paying hundreds of $$ for MS Office and licensing hassles?
Get the award-winning OpenOffice at http://www.openoffice.org

Both are free and open source.