Re: gentoo, anyone?

From: steve fox <steve(at)wiscota(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gentoo, anyone?
Date: 2004-01-17 12:49:31
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi, Dave -

Comments below.

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

No. See, the deal with gentoo is you don't run the typical .configure
and make commands to build your packages. Rather you use 'emerge,'
which is a command to build packages in gentoo linux.

>>Postgresql is installed, pgsql lives in /usr/local. I've
>>symlinked it to /usr/pgsql thinking that would fix it, but it
>>doesn't. Is there a way to pass the --with-pgsql option to
>>emerge?
>

> What's emerge?

something like BSD ports and debian packages. You sync up with the
mothership tree to stay current. Normally one would handle .configre
[options] with a setting in a variable called $USE, but I'm not able to
find it in this case.