Re: A thing I'm missing

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com
Cc: javier garcia - CEBAS <rn001(at)cebas(dot)csic(dot)es>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A thing I'm missing
Date: 2004-01-13 21:45:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

>On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, javier garcia - CEBAS wrote:
>

>>Hello all.
>>
>>I just would like to say that perhaps it would be good that PGAdmin could
>>benefit more of the Copy & PAste abilities of windows.
>>For us it would be very good to be able to copy columns of data in
>>Spreadsheets like Excel and to paste them in Postgres tables.
>>
>>Perhaps more people would like this?
>>
>>Thanks a lot for your efforts.
>>
>>Best Wishes,
>>
>>Javier García
>>

>Yea, that or be able to export data from the table or view. I have to
>keep copying my view definition into the SQL dialog so I can then
>export the data. That doesn't bother me too much but it is more
>steps.
>
>Come to thing of it printing from a view or table would **really** be
>nice too.

Apparently, there's more needs about copy/paste of data than existing
now. Let's define exactly what's needed.

Query Tool:
- Copy of complete output to clipboard (question: which format?!? to
be answered for M$ _and_ for gtk)
- same for marked rows
- same for a column (?) (we don't use a grid, so only single column
possible, if any)

Data Viewer:
same three options, here we can mark cells as desired, which makes the
question of correct clipboard format even worse.

We should take this on the TODO list, as soon as there are useful
answers about clipboard formats.

Regards,
Andreas