Drawbacks of using BYTEA for PK?

From: David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Drawbacks of using BYTEA for PK?
Date: 2004-01-11 15:56:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Are there any drawbacks of using BYTEA for PK compared to using a
primitive/atomic data types like INT/SERIAL? (like significant
performance hit, peculiar FK behaviour, etc).

I plan to use BYTEA for GUID (of course, temporarily I hope, until
PostgreSQL officially supports GUID data type), since it seems to be the
most convenient+compact compared to other data types currently
available. I use GUIDs for most PK columns.

--
dave